Sunday, February 27, 2011

[EDM613] Week 3 - Reading Post

So as I read the Chapter 5 thru 8 I found the text a bit hard to follow but after re-reviewing the text it hit me that the author is using different stories to explain what it takes to be a successful leader. Once I came to this realization I really began to gain and understanding of what it takes to lead. In this reading I have found parody in the authors stories, which showed close resemblance to the job we do as educators. We are look upon as leaders and individuals that have the ability educate future; with this calling comes a pedestal in which we are placed upon. Like the unsung world renown artist of the Boston Symphony we have to remain humble and find ways to meet our students on even ground. I found myself drawn to the portion of the story regarding the granting greatness. This is something that I strive to do in my educational system. The more individuals I empower the more gratification I obtained from watching them go out and empower others. The stronger my team is, the stronger I am! I loved the description of the facilitator that is governed by Rule Number 6. It stated that the job of the facilitator is to pave the way for individuals to take charge of discussions. Our jobs as educators falls under this category as we have to be well versed in helping others to get out of there own way so that they can learn. And lastly the practice of being with “the way things are” really stuck out to me as well. It really put into perspective how as human beings we typically tackle a problem starting with how we turn our attention toward what it should be rather than what it really is. I loved the analogy, “Closing the Exits” meaning for one to stay with their feelings and let them play completely out so that you can deal with them. The author goes on to state, “…that feelings are like muscles the more you stay with the exercise the more emotional heavy lifting an individual can do.

I really found these chapters of reading to be extremely uplifting in my current situation I was in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to adjust your POV and see how the book spoke to you in term of leadership and teacher. Excellent observation.

    ReplyDelete