Sunday, February 13, 2011

[EDM613] Week 2 - Comments to Pamela

This weeks reading was so good I just enjoyed reading the letters to Mr.Z. I got several things out of the reading but I just want to focus on a few things. The first chapter or two was talking about new ideas and inventions it was basically saying that there is plenty of business to go around for all inventions. I felt that the reading was challenging me to not be afraid to try new ideas in personally and professionally. The last two chapters were basically challenging students to not think about grades or restrictions but rather be creative in their learning. I really liked how the Asian students stepped out of their comfort zone and learned by their mistakes. I fell that our education system is focus so much on performance in testing and grades to the point students are afraid to take risk. Students are so afraid of making a mistake to the point they can't think for themselves. I find that this is so true in my class. I can give them an assignment and I want them to be creative with it but they want steps a,b, and c laid out for them. My students do not know how to use their imagination they just want to know what it takes to get an A. I feel like education needs to focus on what the students are learning through exploration rather than lets see how many standardize test we can give the kids. Life isn't about multiple choice questions life is about thinking for yourself and making decisions for yourself.

I totally agree Pamela! I feel that the more educators realize that there are more ways to assess the knowledge of their students the better educators they will become. Like that last statement, "life isn't about about multiple choice questions, "Life is about thinking for yourself and making decisions for yourself". This is so true! Too many students are taught and are book smart but can not use there mind to solve a problem that they find themselves engaged in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment