Sunday, February 13, 2011

[EDM613] Week 2 - Comments to Scott

Enjoyed the archived edition of copyright...IDK, it's a good thing for me to hear it at least twice for stuff to sink in to my head (that problem seems to be getting worse as I get older).
A couple of thoughts occurred to me as I listened in on the session:
- once again, at work just yesterday I was fighting with one of my associates regarding the use of certain media (this happened to be music) in an upcoming training course we are putting together. His comment to me was simply, "it's education, so it's OK. I am constantly amazed at how that falsehood, or myth to Joe's list got spread. So it was an excellent educational opportunity for my to teach back to this associate the correct use of copyrighted material and to steer him in a different direction.

- on the flip side of that thought...I was struck by the length of time copyright lasts: lifetime + 70 or 100 years for corporate! The comparison was briefly drawn during the session between copyright and patent. It seems like the patent law is much weaker from a timespan basis. I know there is more to it than the simple 20 years I understand with patents, but really! A patent is truly something that could change the world! The holder only received 20 years to capitalize on that patent, while the copyright holder receives his/her lifetime + their childrens and even potential grandchildren. Seem to be a little lopsided!

Just some random thoughts I had during the session...Don't copy them or I'll come after you ;>}


I completely agree Scott. I find individuals are lost to the concept of copyright. I see the digital age and technological advancements to be partially to blame for this. I recently found and DJ mixing program and iMovie as apps for my iPhone and was surprised that I could take two or more songs and mix them on my phone and upload them as my own creations with no problem. Because this software is available and is so easy to use the thought of "...its ok will continue to loom..." until you are placed into a situation where it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment