Sunday, February 27, 2011

[EDM613] Week 3 - Comments to Cheryl

My greatest take away from the reading was from the chapter on "Leading from any seat". The Zander's showed me that leadership should be driven by the role of empowerment. Dr. Martin Luther King's role of a leader was to inspire and empower people to change their current conditions. He knew that his one voice would not make a difference. Zander said that a leader who thinks he is superior will not hear those he rely on to deliver his vision. That's why it is important for a leader to keep a pulse on his people. I like Zander's vision of placing a sheet of blank paper on everyone's stand so they can write down any observations or coaching that might enable him to empower them. This is something that trainers do at the end of their sessions to critique their performance. My job as a leader is to develop the next leader to take my place, by example and practice. I look into the eyes of my students as todays learner's and tomorrow's leaders.

I also liked "Rule Number 6" because I can identify with being light-hearted and high-spirited during tough situations. I engage my students by bringing humor into the classroom. I found that when I make my lessons funny, they remember the content.


I totally agree with you! Reading your blog post reminds me of a time when my grandmother set down with a bunch of gangsters from the block I was raised on in Chicago and she told them, "How can you tell anyone this is your block when you don't know about the man whom the block is named after (Emmitt Till)?" Emmitt Till's mother made a point to use her voice and her son's gruesome lynching to empower people change the current condition and hatred going on in the south.

I feel that our job as educators is to empower and to motivate individuals to continue the learning process within their daily lives. I completely agree with your view of us as the next generation's educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment