Saturday, July 17, 2010

BP4_ScreenToaster

Problem
So here’s this weeks problem statement…

I would like to communicate a problem I’m having problem with a specific piece of software on my PC and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to explain the issue to individuals trying to lend assistance.

Or…

I need to show my class how to do a rather simple exercise in specific software for their PC. It would be easier to show them then to explain it.

Or…

You’re the avivd twitter and facebook fan and you would like to share things that are interesting that are happening on your PC.

Solution
Well the Web 2.0 tool I have found this week solves the problem…ScreenToaster! This tool, originally built for PC, allows you to capture video of on-screen action after which it allows you to share your video stream via the World Wide Web. ScreenToaster has five major exportation options for screencasting, .flv, .mp4, .wmv, .avi, and .swf. From the interface this application allows you to embed screencasts into a web site. You can also upload to YouTube and Vimeo. Similar to that of a Telestream Screenflow application, there is an editing platform within this application that allows you to add text and sound. During my research I found a saying we have probably all heard before, “…a picture is worth a thousand words” well the guys over at ScreenToaster say that a screen cast is worth a million words.



Click on the "Capture Your Screen in Seconds" link to access the ScreenToaster Home Page!

ScreenToaster in Action
Here is a really cool application for the iPhone for that I found during my research. The creator really had a good handle on the program and so I choose to show this as an example of what ScreenToaster can do….Enjoy!



Classroom Integration
As for how I would utilize this tool in the classroom, wow where do I start?
1. I can quickly show students how to perform a simple task and record it so that they can watch it over and over until they get it right.
2. I can record an entire lab lecture so that in an event that I cannot be in class the student can still obtain the lecture need to keep moving forward on their lab assignments. This hold true for theory as well with the use of a webcam and selecting that feature inside the ScreenToaster options.
3. My students could utilize this tool to share “how-to” screencasts with one another to be in keeping with the rule of the class “each one - teach one”.

There are few ways that I would utilize this web application in my classroom to capture the full effect of it as a Web 2.0 tool.

2 comments:

  1. Orlando, I just read that Screen Toaster will be shutting down shortly. It looks like a great tool and I had added it to my inventory of links before I read the news. You might look into screenr as an alternative. Here is the blog from Free Technology for Teachers that I learned about it from.


    3 Web-based Tools for Creating Screencast Videos
    from Free Technology for Teachers by noreply@blogger.com (Mr. Byrne)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just great! I was actually setting up to use this tool next quarter! Well I will check out one of the others...thanks as always for the info...

    ReplyDelete